This month has been absolutely AMAZING. I started the month off by attending a very motivating webinar held by Jennifer Snyder over at Women Winning Online. It really got my butt in gear and pushed me to get stuff done! In doing so, traffic to my blog increased drastically! I’m so excited to tell you all about it.
Alrighty… let’s begin with readership:
Yeah. That’s 12,104 sessions. My blog was visited over 12k times in the last 30 days!! I am seriously excited about this. It’s a huge change from what I experienced during previous months!
Back when I started my blog, I kept reading articles that said 10k visitors was the turning point for most bloggers. That once they reached that point, they started making money. It became my first “big” goal. I reached that goal this month and I couldn’t be more proud of myself!
What do I attribute my success to?
The first was purchasing Finding Your Tribe Online. It’s an amazing resource that helped me find the people who want to read what I’m writing. I had a hard time pulling the trigger and making the purchase, but I saw my traffic triple within the first day of implementing the tactics found in FYTO.
The second thing was this stupid post. Well, I don’t think it’s stupid, but I get annoyed dealing with the negative feedback I receive every day (most of which gets deleted due to my comment guidelines). That article is the cause of the first big spike in my traffic.
It’s an article I typed up two weeks ago. It’s well written and apparently quite controversial. A lot of people disagree with my opinion and it’s become the closest thing I’ve ever seen to a “Facebook viral” post. Yesterday it was shared on FB for the 1,000th time.
While we are on the subject of that article, I’d like to take a moment to ask why do people get so worked up?! I’ve read tons of opinions shared by other bloggers that I don’t agree with over the years. When I was younger I might have left a comment voicing my disagreement, but I NEVER went so far as to call them names, question their intelligence, or waste my time repeating what 15 other people have already said to the author. These days I don’t even comment on them. It’s pointless. My opinion won’t change their opinion.
Anyway, back to my report.
So, goal update. What were my goals last month? Did I achieve them?
- Create that damn freebie! — Yes, yes, YES! I finally got it done. I created an awesome printable spreadsheet to help track grocery cost. You can read about it here. It’s been extremely helpful in gaining email subscribers, too!
- Revamp my newsletter — I sure did! I’m so proud of my newsletter now. It looks a lot more professional than it did a month ago.
- Join 6 Pinterest collaborative boards — And then some! I currently belong to 30 collaborative boards and I make sure to request to join 3 new ones every other day.
- Reach 275 FB followers — No. But that’s okay. After the webinar, my social media tactic changed and FB and Twitter went on the back burner.
- 1,500 Twitter followers — No. Like I said, I changed up my social media game plan.
- Work out the kinks in my schedule — I’ve got the strangest way of scheduling my time, but it’s working. Every evening I grab some sticky notes and write down my blogging goals on one note and my “extra” household goals on another (stuff above and beyond what I normally do). I stick the notes above my computer and the next day I just make sure I get as much done as I can, with household stuff being the top priority.
- Learn something new every week — Definitely! I attended 2 webinars and got Jennifer Snyders “Finding Your Tribe Online“. I highly recommend it, by the way. It would benefit any female blogger! I also finished reading How to Blog For Profit Without Selling Your Soul by Ruth Soukup. There’s a ton of good info in that book, a definite must read for any blogger!
- Add a disclaimer to all my posts — Yep, yep! Got it done!
- Google AdSense – $24.85 – I’m so excited about this!! A month ago, I was lucky to make a couple pennies a day! But since my traffic spiked, I’m seeing at least $1.50 a day. For the last two weeks I’ve been making $3 or more on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Media.net – $0.00 – I got rid of them. I had a huge traffic increase, but these ads received no clicks. They were a waste of space.
- Content.ad – $0.00 – Removed these ads, too, for the same reason I removed the others.
- Ibotta – $0.00 – I had 2 new people sign up for Ibotta after reading this post, but neither of them used the app after installing it. I guess saving money isn’t for everybody.
- Freelance writing – $50 – This is a HUGE deal for me! I had this article published by Parent.co back in August. I just received the check a couple days ago. Although it didn’t help with my own social media or website traffic, it did help my bank account!
- Sponsered post – $50 – I’m really excited about this, too! Dealspotr.com approached me (I didn’t go to them!) asking if I’d be interested in using their website and writing a review about it. I agreed and it landed me $50!
Total income last month: $124.85 – I couldn’t be happier right now! Best month ever!!
Social media followers:
Facebook: 211 (+36)
Twitter: 1,035 (+236)
Instagram: 255 (+44)
Pinterest: 759 (+546)
StumbleUpon: 13 (+5)
Do you see that huge jump on Pinterest?! That’s what I started doing differently. Focusing on Pinterest almost entirely. It’s really paying off! Almost all of my traffic comes from Pinterest now.
Goals for Month #5:
- Start my eBook – This is something that I’ve been brainstorming all month. I have an idea for an eBook, but it’s going to be a big project. Which is good… the more time I put into the book, the better it will be. The better it is, the more it will help people. The more it helps people, the more copies I sell. Everyone wins. I just need to dive in and get it started.
- Finish fixing my old posts – I remember when I started blogging I read multiple bloggers talk about how one day you’ll look back at your first 5 or 10 posts and realize they were horrible. Yeah. I’m there now. I’ve been slowly updating all my posts and I may just delete some of my first posts.
- Join 10 Pinterest collaborative boards – I’m going to be really busy this month since deer season starts in a couple days and lasts 2 weeks. I may not have the time to request to join a bunch of boards, so I’m setting the bar low and only hoping to join 10.
- Reach 1,100 Pinterest followers – I want to devote as much time as I possibly can to growing my Pinterest following.
- 50 email subscribers – I’d like to think this goal won’t be too hard, but I’ll be pretty busy with non-blogging things this month. Right now I have 36 subscribers (up from 12 prior to creating that opt-in). I’ll just keep spreading the word about my freebie when I have time and I should be able to reach this goal.
What are my recommendations for other bloggers?
Well, if you haven’t started blogging yet, I recommend getting a self hosted plan through Bluehost. Since I started blogging in May, I’ve had no issues with them. They have been great to work with and plans start as low as $3.45 a month!
If you already have a blog, I can’t stress enough how important it is to be on Pinterest! And not just “I have an account and I pin all my posts to one of my boards“. Ya gotta join group boards and pin your own pins to them as much as possible. Finding Your Tribe Online has multiple lists of Pinterest group boards organized by topic. It even tells you how to request to join each board! If you want to take your Pinterest game to the next level, it’s definitely worth the $17!!
Note: This post contains affiliate links.