Hey, guys! Guess what?! Today marks 3 months of AFrugalDesteny being live. This is my 37th blog post!
I’m excited to be here, but slightly disappointed. I’m about to share an update with you. Last month I set goals for myself and I know I didn’t reach all of them. Plus I’m gonna fill you in on the income my blog produced. Warning: it isn’t much.
Alrighty… let’s begin with readership:
My blog received about 50 more readers this month than it did last, which isn’t horrible, but I was hoping for a better increase. My page views went down and my bounce rate went up. Both disappointments. I may have gotten about 300 more readers this month than I did my first month, but the average reader is spending less time exploring my blog.
So, goal update. What were my goals last month? Did I achieve them?
- Create a new freebie — Nope. I meant to, I really did, but I kept putting it on the back burner. The freebie I want to make is gonna be so time consuming! And I don’t even know if it will help me gain email subscribers. I spent the entire month avoiding it.
- New pictures — Yep! We had an hour session with Amanda from A Coy Creations Photography and she did a wonderful job!
- Revamp my blog! — Yes! I did achieve this goal. My blog is totally different now. It isn’t exactly what I’m wanting yet, but it’s a lot closer and I’m a lot happier with it. I’m hoping this new change helps with my readership next month!
- Revamp my newsletter — No. I JUST finished getting my blog squared away last week. I haven’t had the chance to fix up my newsletter layout, too.
- Twitter followers — Yeah! I was hoping to reach 1,000 followers by today, but I didn’t quite get there. Which is okay. I have waaayyy more followers than I did a month ago.
- Create a better schedule — Sorta… I’m still struggling with it.
- Google AdSense — $0.37 – Ha, I’m really rollin’ in dough, right? Google AdSense currently controls some of the ads on my website. I get money if you click on them. People didn’t want to click this month, apparently! Even though I had move visitors to my blog this month, I made a lot less than I did during my first month with AdSense. Due to my only making $0.40 off Google AdSense last month, I’ve decided to start working with a couple other ad companies this month.
- Media.net — $0.32 – Getting rich though them, too! Media.net works with Bing & Yahoo ads. Pretty much the same thing as Google AdSense.
- Content.ad — $0.15 – Better than nothing, right?
- Zemandi — $1.00 – This is a ghost writing website I started working with this month. They are currently paying me 50 cents for every 100 words I write. It isn’t much, but I’m still in the probationary period. I have the ability to make up to $3.50 per 100 words, so last month I decided I wanted to try it out.
I’ve put it on the back burner, too, lately for a couple reasons: I wrote the agreed upon articles but have not heard anything regarding a pay change or even being taken out of the initial probationary period & I spent a TON of time canning & selling apricot jam this month and I made a lot more money doing that than I would have through Zemandi.
- Ibotta — $5 – Someone signed up for Ibotta through my website this month. Not only did I get $5, but she got $10 just for signing up using this link!
Total income last month: $6.84 — Definitely disappointing compared to last month. I mean, I didn’t make a lot last month, either, but it was better than this month.
Now, here’s a part I’m really proud of… Social media followers!
Facebook: 175 (+46)
Twitter: 799 (+685)
Instagram: 211 (+166)
Pinterest: 213 (+110)
StumbleUpon: 8 (+2)
Do you see that huge jump on Twitter?! I’m excited about FB, too, just because I struggled there the first two months. For the last week I’ve been sending new Twitter followers to my FB & asking they like my page there, too, and I think that’s been helping me a lot.
Goals for Month #4:
- Create that damn freebie! — I need to stop avoiding it. I’m putting it on my to-do list for next month.
- Revamp my newsletter — Definitely excited to get this done now that my website is awesome!
- Join 6 Pinterest collaborative boards — Did you know you can join boards with huge followings? If the owner of the board adds you as a contributor, you can pin your own content to that board and reach a larger audience. I just recently learned of this!
- Reach 275 FB followers — I think I can achieve this if I stay on top of my Twitter following and continue sending them to my FB page.
- 1,500 Twitter followers — If I keep doing what I’ve been doing, I should be able to do this!
- Work out the kinks in my schedule — My “schedule” is far from great, but Hubby is happier with it than he was a month ago.
- Learn something new every week — There are so many helpful blogging freebies out there, it would be stupid of me not to take advantage of it. I’m currently enrolled in Jen Snyder’s live webinar on Thursday called “7 Strategies to Grow Blog Traffic“. Jen is great and her FB group Women Winning Online is so helpful!
- Add a disclaimer to all my posts — I just learned this last weekend that legally I’m obligated to inform you if I’m using affiliate links on every single post. I didn’t know it before, but apparently having an entire page dedicated to a disclaimer isn’t good enough.
So, there you have it. We covered everything from readership to income to goals, both old & new.
My advice to those considering becoming a blogger?
Get your web hosting and domain name through Bluehost! If you’re serious about blogging and want to become a serious blogger, you need to buy your domain name and web hosting for sure. Why not go through a reputable company?
I’ve been working with them for nearly 4 months now and I have zero complaints!
NOTE: This post contained affiliated links.