Hey there! I’m so glad to have you on my blog!
My name’s Desteny. I live in N.E. Oregon with my husband (Hubby), daughter (Bee) and our dog (Goliath).
I started this blog in June of 2016 for a few different reasons. Not only was I looking for a way to make a little money while staying home with my daughter, I also love to write and connect with other moms. Blogging just seemed like the best route to go, it met all my criteria for “dream job”.
Before I created A Frugal Desteny, I honestly had dreams of getting rich quick. Hubby and I were living in the Boise, Idaho area and we were in a tough position financially. There didn’t seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Things kept going wrong, problems were arising regularly. Even though I tried to be as frugal as I could, things were bad. We had no idea how we were going to dig ourselves out of this mess we were in.
Then I read about a woman who made almost $100k a year as a blogger.
I spent the next few months reading everything I could about starting a profitable blog and it seemed like sooo many people were making hundreds, if not thousands, within a couple months of starting their blog. I decided to take the plunge and jump in, too.
Much to my disappointment, I didn’t get rich quick. Heck, I’m not even rich yet. After over 1.5 years, I’m just now starting to make just enough money a month to be pleased with myself.
I was a total newb and had no clue what I was doing for months.
Hubby and I ended up moving back to our hometown of Pendleton, Oregon in April of 2017. Hubby accepted a new, better paying job, we sold our house in Idaho for a profit, downsized to a much smaller rental house and started digging ourselves out of the hole we were in.
My blog may not have rescued us like I’d hoped it would, but over time I grew very attached to it. I love writing and sharing tips, tricks, ideas and my personal opinion on my blog. It’s a great outlet and, even though I have found myself unmotivated to keep it regularly updated from time-to-time, I’ve never given up on it. This little website really has become one of my favorite hobbies.
Some fun facts about Desteny:
- I’ve lived in 4 states, 8 towns, and 17 houses in my life. I have a love-hate relationship with moving. I definitely love the change, but I really hate the process! Luckily, over the years I seem to have gotten it down to a bit of a science of sorts. As soon as I learn I’m going to be moving, even if it’s months away, I immediately start taking steps to make sure moving day is as stress free as possible!
- My daughter, Bee, was born in July 2015. She was my sixth pregnancy. The previous five ended in miscarriage. Sad, right? For most it might be, but I like to look at it in a more positive light these days. Yes, those miscarriages may have upset me when they happened, but my life would be so much different had any of those five pregnancies made it full-term. I had a lot of fun as a young adult and did things that I really couldn’t have done while trying to be a good mom to a child.
- Some of my favorite activities include camping, fishing, hunting, baking, writing, reading and amateur photography.
- I’ve always been a more frugal person in most ways. Sure, when I was younger and more carefree, I used to spend way too much money eating out and going to the bar for drinks. But, for as long as I can remember, I’ve always tried to find the best deals. Coupons, sales, rebate apps. These things play a huge part in my life!
- I’m a bit of an introvert. Don’t get me wrong, I can chat with people and make friends and all that good stuff. I just prefer not to. With the exception of a couple people, I really only spend time with my family.
- With the exception of 5th grade, I was homeschooled my entire childhood. At the age of 15 I started attending my local community college. I got my GED at 16 and dropped out of college at the ripe old age of 17, much to my parent’s disappointment. For some reason I thought spending my time working a minimum wage job was a great idea.
- I’m a dog person, I love modern farmhouse decor. I have what I consider to be a healthy obsession with Chip & Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper, my favorite color is grey. I’d eat steak every day if it were both healthy and inexpensive. My favorite place to spend my time is in the mountains of the Pacific NW, the first time I went hunting was with my husband in 2014. I’ve ridden a horse once and I’m not sure I ever want to do it again.
- If I won the lottery tomorrow, the first thing I would do is pay off all of my debt. Every single penny. Then I’d probably buy my dream vehicle: a new, jacked up Chevy pickup. After that, I would find a way to grow the remaining money. Investing in stocks and real estate, Hubby and I have also discussed the possibility of starting our own business.